- Remember, after removing your joint from the packaging, pat dry and bring to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C for fan assisted or 215°C for ovens without a fan.
- Choose a large, heavy-based roasting tray, ideally with deep sides and handles for easy movement.
- Season with good quality fine sea salt just prior to cooking.
- Make a trivet by roughly chopping equal amounts of onion, carrot and celery (or our preferred choice of celeriac, the root of the celery) plus a bay leaf, sprig of thyme and a few black peppercorns
- Place the beef fat side up onto the trivet which should line the base of the tray.
- Place in the centre of the oven and roast for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 170°C for fan assisted or 180°C for ovens without a fan. Continue roasting for 15 minutes per every 500g
- Remove from the oven, put onto a clean tray and keep warm by covering with a sheet of tin foil. Rest for a minimum of 20 minutes before carving, leaving the roasted vegetables in the tray for the gravy.
- For the gravy, make up 500ml of Essential Cuisine beef stock, then deglaze roasting tray with this stock stirring in all the caramelized juices from the tray. Next, pass through a fine sieve pushing all the juices from the vegetables into a clean saucepan. Bring to a simmer and thicken if required by whisking in a teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a little cold water and reduce until it becomes a rich, glossy gravy